Monday, July 2, 2007

Five Stress Reducing Driving Strategies

Posted by Patrick Moore
on Mon, Jun 18, 2007, 8:48 am PDT

MEDITATE
No, I don't recommend closing your eyes and chanting while on the road. However, you can create a meditative atmosphere in your car by selecting calming music and quietly repeating a phrase. Sometimes, when stuck in traffic, I simply breathe deeply and count down from 10. Rock and dance music have their place in the car but they are simply not helpful on a freeway that has come to a standstill.

TAKE RESPONSIBILITY
I admit to using my cell phone in the car. (It is still legal here in LA, by the way.) But why do I become so annoyed when I see someone else driving erratically while talking on the phone? If I don't act as I would like others to act, I have no business criticizing them. Responsibility on the road starts with me.

HELP OTHERS
Rather than seeing other drivers as adversaries, it really does help my mood to be generous on the road. When I let cars in front of me and give a polite wave when other drivers allow me in, I am simply in a better mood. Each car trip, I make a commitment to doing something nice rather than competitive.

GET OVER YOURSELF
Are you really so busy that an additional five minutes on the road are going to make a difference? If I am a few minutes late to my meeting, will the company come to a standstill? I find that putting the frustration of traffic into a larger context keeps me from becoming frantic, self-obsessed, and self-important.

WALK
Most of us who live in dense cities could walk more and use our cars less. Not only does this help the environment, it reconnects us to nature, gives us some exercise and, most importantly, lowers the stress of urban living.

No comments:

Post a Comment